“Our Constitution has always been here. Our rules of conduct, our rules of behavior, the way we think, our moral values – are actually situated around the Stó:lō Nation. They not only define our Nation, but they define how we are supposed to conduct ourselves. Our constitution has always been here and it really is written in stone.” – Xwelixweltel (Grand Chief Steven Point)
- Our Chilangin defines us as a society. Our collective goals, rules and principles as a self-governing people.
- Our Chilangin cuts our ties to the Indian Act.
- Our Chilangin is the sacred ground for our law making powers, authorities and responsibilities in governing ourselves as Xwexwilmexw.
- Our Chilangin is deeply rooted in our history, origin, and our unique Stó:lō identities, relations with our land, and what belongs to us.
- Our Chilangin is a sacred writing, a powerful form of modern transformation linking us to sxwōxwiyá:m and connecting us to S’ólh Téméxw.